1 box (16 oz) of Phyllo Dough/Phyllo Pastry Sheets (recommend Athens Fillo Dough)
1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
3 cups Walnuts, finely chopped
2 cups Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1 tsp Spice for Life Cinnamon
1/4 cup Honey
1 3/4 cup Water
1 tsp Vanilla
bon COOK Products Used
FLEXIFLAT™ and Perforated Baking Sheet
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Unroll phyllo dough. If necessary cut phyllo to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.
4. Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat one sheet at a time until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 1/3 of nut mixture on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, and nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.
5. Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
6. Make sauce while baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla, lemon and honey. Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown and thickened.
7. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. Serve in cupcake papers. This freezes well. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 80