A yummy, colorful appetizer that incorporates some really healthy vegetables
1 sheet pie dough or puff pastry
1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 small onion, thinly sliced Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
3 eggs, whisked
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
Bon Cook Products Used
Flexiflat w/Perf, traditional balsamic, Santoku knife
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place Deep FLEXIFLAT™ on a Perforated Baking Sheet, set aside. Roll dough into a rectangle and place into FLEXIFLAT™. Fill with dry beans or rice to weigh it down. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside.
2. In Mixing Bowl, combine diced squash, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Bolivian Rose Sea Salt, and nutmeg. Transfer to Silpat and Perforated Baking Sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Add kale and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft and place into a separate mixing bowl. Add cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
4. In the same sauté pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over low heat and add onion. Cook for 20-25 minutes until caramelized, stirring every few minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, stir and transfer to kale bowl. Add eggs to bowl and mix until well blended. Add half the squash, half the cheese, and a pinch of pepper. Stir together and pour over cooked crust.
5. Scatter remaining squash and cheese over top and sprinkle with pepper. Bake until egg is set and top is lightly golden, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into squares and serve.
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 75