- 5 cups Flour (save ½ cup for kneading)
- 1 stick Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon FRENCH PANTRY Sel Gris Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream, for plating
- Topping suggestions (optional):
- Sautéed Onions
- Saltine Crackers, mixed with melted Butter
- Bacon Bits or fried, crumbled Pork Salt
bon COOK Products Used
Roul’Pat®, Santoku Chef Knife, Stainless Mixing Bowl, Beechwood Rolling Pin, FRENCH PANTRY Sel Gris Salt
- In Mixing Bowl, combine dry ingredients and cut in Butter until mixture is crumbly, and in a separate Mixing Bowl, beat Eggs and 1 ½ cups Milk, add to dry ingredients, mixing well, then place on Roul’Pat and knead until elastic
- Pinch off about a golf ball size piece of dough, and roll into small, thin circles, add a tablespoon of filling, fold dough over to make a half circle, pinching firmly around the edges so it will not open when boiled and eliminating any air pockets. The Pierogi should be about the size of the palm of your hand, when finished
- In a large stockpot, boil Pierogis for about 3 minutes (you may boil several at a time), then remove from water and allow to cool
- Once cooled, sauté in Butter or Margarine until browned and serve with Salt, Pepper and Sour Cream
Prepare as mashed and add whatever you like, such as Bacon, Sautéed Onions, Garlic, Cheddar Cheese, etc.
Use Farmers Cheese (usually found in a triangular-shaped package about the size of your hand). Crumble the Cheese and add 1 Egg, a little Sugar, Salt and Pepper and mix well.
Cook a Beef Roast of your choice, remove gristle and place in a food processor (you may add Onions, Garlic, etc., if you want and adding Mashed Potatoes will prevent dryness, making it easier to work with). Be careful not to transfer any grease from your fingers when pinching the edges closed, as it will cause the Pierogi to come apart in the boiling process.
TIP: Pierogis may also be eaten without frying or sautéing. If you choose to eat them after the boiling stage, they are usually best served with some type of topping (refer to ingredient list for suggestions).
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes